COVID-19 Home Practice – March 2020 – Focus on SPANDA
Spanda is the natural pulsation of the universe and it exists all around us. All things that contract, eventually expand again, and the cycle continues.
Sit quietly for 5 minutes and bring awareness to your BREATH. Let the ribs and lungs expand on the inhale and contract on the exhale.
Visualise a fruit tree starting to blossom. The flower at its fullest radiates beauty in line with the expansion of your chest as you inhale. As the flower fades in line with your exhale, it contracts and the seed left behind starts to create a fruit. Then the cycle begins again as the fruit is formed. Let your breath flow effortlessly in line with nature’s expansion and contraction.
Let your breath move with nature’s natural cycle as you practice to help alleviate any feelings of anxiety during these challenging times.
Warm-Up (on your back)
- Supine Baddha Konasana/Reclined Bound Angle (soles feet together) and arms crossed overhead or out to side
- Supine Uttitha Hasta Padagusthasana/Reclined extended hand foot big toe with STRAP/SCARF – do A & B drawing foot towards you (A) then rotate foot out and take
- Table Top – Marjaryasana-Bitilasana/Cat-Cow stretch
- Adho Mukha Svanasana/Downward Facing Dog – 5 breaths
- Surya Namaskar A or B Sun Salutation x 1-5 times (see here http://www.not-just-yoga.com/yoga.php for the sequences)
Hip Focus – starting from Downward Dog (hold each pose for 5 deep breaths and do both sides)
- Virabhadrasana 1/Warrior 1 to Humble Warrior to Virabhadrasana 3/Warrior 3. Return to Warrior 1 and either Vinyasa to Downward Dog or Balasana/Child’s Pose
- Virabhadrasana 2/Warrior 2 to Uttitha Parsvakonasana/Extended Side Angle (elbow on knee or use block with palm flat to draw torso round) to Utthan Pristasana/Gecko. Return to Side Angle and either Vinyasa to Downward Dog or Balasana/Child’s Pose/.
- Eka Pada Raja Kapotasana 2/Crescent Moon (Low) Lunge – add Gomukhasana/Cow face arms (right arm up and left hand to bind then opposite on left side) and then (optional) draw back foot towards butt (knee on a towel) to stretch quad and open heart space.
- Kapotasana/Pigeon to Gomukhasana/Cow face legs (drawing back leg round from Pigeon to cross over – option to put bottom leg straight also). Back to Pigeon and switch sides.
Backbends - from Gomukhasana legs, lie on back
- Setu Bandhasana/Bridge x 3- option to do supported bridge and/or Urdvha Dhanurasana/Upward facing bow pose as one of the 3 backbends.
Release your back with the following 3 poses:
- Deer Pose – feet mat width and take both knees to one side then other.
- Apanasana – knees to chest and lumbar roll
- Ananda Balasana – Happy Baby
- Paschimottanasana/Intense West stretch - Forward Fold
- Janu Sirsasana/Head to Knee pose
- Matseyandrasana (half or full) Lord of the Fishes seated twist
- Savasana – spend at least 5 minutes at the end of your practice and focus fully on Spanda through your breath once more